A great vegan dish for lunch or dinner, this serves two very well as a main course. You could use any veggies instead of the asparagus if no longer in season.
I N G R E D I E N T S
2 tablespoons of light olive oil
Bunch asparagus (or other veggies if not available), chopped up
250g of pre-cooked long grain rice (we use this one)
1 red chilli, seeds removed and finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and diced
120ml of teriyaki sauce
2 tsp of roasted sesame oil
3 spring onions, thinly sliced
Handful of fresh coriander, chopped up
Handful of fresh mint, chopped up
Juice of 1 lime
Sesame seeds, toasted lightly (not essential)
M E T H O D
1. Pre-heat the oven to 220°C/ 200°C fan. Pour the olive oil into a roasting tin that will fit the aubergines snugly and place in the oven to heat up. Slice the aubergines in half, lengthways, and then score using a sharp knife. This lets the lovely teriyaki sauce absorb into the aubergines more. Remove the tray from the oven, add the aubergines face down and roast for 15 minutes.
2. Mix the chilli, garlic, teriyaki, sesame oil as well as 3 tbsp cold water in a small jug.
3. Remove the aubergines from the oven, they should be nicely soft now. Turn the oven down 200°C/ 180°C fan. Next turn the aubergines over and pour over the teriyaki sauce mixture and roast for a further 15 minutes.
4. Remove the aubergines from the oven again, and add the rice around the edges of the tray with the veggies. There should still be quite a bit of liquid still. Add the spring onions, and bake in the oven for another 8-10 minutes until the veggies and rice are cooked through.
5. Lastly, squeeze fresh lime over the tray, sprinkle with sesame seeds if you have them and add the herbs. Ready to serve!