A plant-based diet is always appealing during the summer months so we’ve pulled together a menu of options to create the ultimate summer menu using the freshest and lightest ingredients.
S T A R T E R I D E A S
1. If you haven’t tried grilled romaine lettuce yet – you need to. It gives this otherwise slightly dull lettuce a wonderful smokey flavour which works perfectly with a creamy garlic sauce like this Italian inspired starter for grilled avocado romaine caesar salad which is both vegan and gluten free by Blissfulbasil.
2. When it comes to feel good food, tacos for us are the go to. Quick and delicious, they can be made with mostly store cupboard or fridge staples so always a win-win option. This lime and chipotle black bean taco recipe by the super talented Anna Jones is foolproof and always delivers on taste.
3. Summer rolls are a firm favourite here at HM as they can be easily packed full of ultra nutritious delicious veg and then dunked in your favourite sauce – ours is a peanut sauce – for a light but satisfying starter or snack that is sure to impress. This vegan summer roll recipe is super easy and is a must try by one of our favourite blogs Pinch of Yum.
M A I N C O U R S E I D E A S
1. We have mentioned our love of sweet potato before but this chipotle sweet potato noodle salad with roasted corn also by Pinch of Yum takes it to another level. This super simple recipe which can be found here, will banish the need for dull summer salads.
2. For a heathy wholesome recipe that will easily feed a crowd why not try this roasted coconut, lime and tamarind curry by Anna Jones. It is full of delicious, easy to find ingredients – most of which you may already have in the cupboards and can be made for additional unexpected guests in no time. Click here for the recipe.
3 For classic Italian flavour with a light summer twist, this quick and easy butternut ‘squashetti with sage and pine nuts from Amelia Freer’s book ‘Cook. Nourish. Glow‘ should be top of your list. Using just six ingredients this is the ideal recipe for quick entertaining or for a light lunch, see the recipe here.
D E S S E R T I D E A S
1. Plant-based summer desserts don’t have to be just a piece of fruit or an ice lolly. There is a wealth of incredible fresh, delicious and show stopping vegan desserts out there to try like this summer lemon-raspberry raw cake with coconut crust by Vanilla Crunnch. Don’t be put off by the fact it is ‘raw’ as this dessert is full of nutrients and will impress even the most hardcore dessert fans whilst being super simple to make.
2. A British summer staple – ice cream but not as you know it. This wonderfully refreshing raspberry coconut mango sorbet hits the spot nicely. This six ingredient sorbet by Minimalist Baker is creamy, sweet and tropical perfect served after dinner or in the afternoon in the sunshine.
3. Another nod to the versatile coconut is this mango and chia pudding by Vibrant Plate which is full of healthy, delicious ingredients and can be made in advance so dessert is one less thing to think about. For the recipe click here.