Our Wolf dual fuel range cooker in our St. Albans showroom has the griddle / teppanyaki next to the charbroiler and it is an absolute dream to cook on. There is so much more space than cooking using even the largest frying pan and the temperature is completely even across the griddle. It’s great for breakfasts as you can throw everything on in one go – sausages, bacon, mushrooms, eggs, tomatoes, hash browns – you’re not trying to keep an eye on 6 different pans and trays – just one. And minimal washing up too – not just because there aren’t any pans to deal with – the griddle is super easy to clean. When you’re finished cooking, you scrap any bits to the front into the removable tray which can go in the dishwasher. At a Wolf training day in London, Chef Bruce showed us how to clean the griddle using ice cubes and a squeeze of lemon – it works perfectly – you just have to wait for it to cool a little. Because it’s a seasoned top – much like a wok – that’s all it needs.
One of the things we love cooking on the griddle is quesadillas – so quick, so delicious – and so easy. The recipe is below but the beauty of quesadillas is that you can use pretty much any leftovers – definitely worth a try!
- 8 wheat or corn tortilla wraps
- 200g grated cheese
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 red chilli, thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 large handfuls of coriander, finely chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Pre-heat the Wolf griddle (or use a large frying pan). Brush the griddle with a little light oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cheese, chicken, chilli, spring onion, coriander, lime juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Brush one side of the tortilla with olive oil then lay face down on the griddle. Spoon on enough of the mixture to cover and then top with another tortilla. Brush the top with oil. When the bottom has crisped up, flip over and repeat until cooked through. You can fit two tortillas on the griddle at any one time.
- Once they are crispy and the cheese has melted, remove from the griddle to a chopping board and slice into 6 portions.