Indulge in the harmonious flavours of this Miso Cod recipe which is perfectly suited for the Gaggenau oven setting “full surface grill + circulated air” setting which offers a range of benefits that enhance the cooking experience at home. This innovative feature combines the power of the full surface grill with the efficiency of circulated heat, resulting in exceptional cooking results. Key benefits include:
- Efficient and Even Heat Distribution: The ‘full surface grill’ element ensures that heat is evenly distributed across the entire cooking surface, eliminating hot spots and ensuring consistent cooking. This even heat distribution guarantees that your food is cooked to perfection, with uniform browning and optimal flavour development.
- Intensive Grilling: The ‘full surface grill’ element provides intense heat, allowing you to achieve those desirable grill marks and caramelisation on your food. Whether you’re searing a steak, grilling vegetables, or creating a crust on your favorite dish, this function delivers exceptional grilling results that enhance texture and flavor.
- Circulated Heat for Precise Cooking: The addition of circulated heat further enhances the cooking process by ensuring that heat is evenly distributed throughout the oven cavity. This eliminates any temperature variances, allowing for precise and controlled cooking.
- Versatility and Flexibility: The ‘full surface grill + Circulated heat 220°C’ function offers versatility in cooking methods, making it suitable for a wide range of dishes. From grilling and roasting to broiling and browning, this function adapts to various cooking techniques, empowering you to explore different recipes and experiment with flavours.
- Time-Saving: The combined power of the full surface grill and circulated heat enables efficient cooking, reducing overall cooking time. The intense heat generated by the grill element and the even heat distribution from the circulated heat ensure that your dishes cook faster without compromising on quality or taste.
- Enhanced Flavour and Texture: The ‘full surface grill + Circulated heat’ function enhances the flavours and textures of your dishes. The intense heat from the grill element creates a beautiful sear, locking in juices and imparting a delightful smoky char. Meanwhile, the circulated heat promotes even cooking, resulting in tender and succulent meats, perfectly roasted vegetables, and evenly baked goods.
- Precise Temperature Control: With the ability to set the temperature precisely, you have full control over your cooking process. This level of temperature control allows for precise adjustments, ensuring that your dishes are cooked to your desired doneness and consistency.
When we’re cooking meat or fish using the Gaggenau oven, if they are small cuts like a fish fillet or pieces of chicken, we will nearly always use the full surface grill + circulated air function. It is especially perfect for this @ Home Miso Code recipe: the combination of miso, mirin, soy sauce, and toasted sesame oil is just delicious. But, it’s not complicated – this is a super straightforward and easy-to-follow recipe that is sure to impress.
I N G R E D I E N T S
- 2 tbsp white miso
- 1 tbsp mirin rice wine
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 50g fresh ginger, grated
- 2 sustainable cod fillets
- 2 spring onions, very finely sliced, plus extra to garnish
- Handful of fresh coriander, plus extra to garnish
M E T H O D
1. In a small bowl, combine the miso, mirin, soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, and grated ginger. Stir the ingredients together until well mixed – this will form the marinade for your cod.
2. Place each cod fillet in a shallow dish and coat with the marinade. Leave to mull for up to 4 hours.
3. When you’re ready, preheat your Gaggenau oven to the ‘full surface grill + circulated air’ setting at 220°C, ensuring an optimal cooking environment for your miso cod. You must wait until the oven is at the correct temperature before putting the fish in. We recommend getting the rice ready and keeping this warm as you can finish off veggies to accompany the cod really fast while it’s in the oven.
4. Place the cod fillets on a sheet of bake-o-glide or similar non-stick parchment, providing a convenient and mess-free cooking surface. Spoon more of the miso mixture onto each fillet if it’s left in the dish.
5. Okay, now it’s time to let your Gaggenau oven work its magic. Slide the cod fillets into the oven and roast under the ‘full surface grill + circulated air set at 220C’ setting for 8-10 minutes. This precise combination of heat and airflow will ensure that the cod is cooked to perfection, with a delectably caramelised exterior and moist, flaky flesh.
6. Once the cod is done, carefully remove it from the oven. Transfer the fillets to the warmed sharing plate and garnish the dish with additional coriander and spring onions. To add a final touch of zesty brightness, serve the dish with lime wedges on the side. A gentle squeeze of lime over the cod will enhance the flavours and provide a refreshing element to the dish.
NB: If you don’t have a Gaggenau oven, you could see if your oven has a similar setting or try a hot fan oven set to 220C for 8 minutes and then full surface grill for the last few minutes to get it nice and caramelised.
Recipe and images: HM